Almost everyone has heard the term “mini blinds,” but what does it mean—especially in comparison to other window treatments? Simply put, mini blinds are window blinds that use slats that are less than half the width of standard blinds. At Blindster, our selection of mini blinds includes a variety of window treatments featuring slats that around 1” in width.
Mini blinds are a popular term because they’re a popular fixture in households, businesses, and any buildings that require window treatments. Because of their affordability, light weight, and ease of cleaning, mini blinds are easy on the wallet, highly convenient, and are versatile enough to be installed in rooms with a wide variety of décor and color schemes.
Some major advantages of mini blinds include:
- Highly effective at controlling light – While mini blinds aren’t as effective at blocking out light as blackout shades, they provide ample light control for most homeowners. They’re also easily operated, as wands can be used to open their slats and lift cords can be used to pull them up or down as needed.
- Moderate cost – Mini blinds are popular choices for homeowners with a variety of budgets. They’re an especially attractive option for people who need to outfit an entire home, as the costs of higher end window treatments can add up when they must be purchased for a dozen or more windows.
- Easy to clean – Because most mini blinds are made from highly durable and often synthetic materials, they’re easy to clean with household items, including many mild cleaners. With other blinds and shades, homeowners may need to watch out for staining or fading, but mini blinds hold up even after being exposed to small amounts of water or cleaner. They’re also easily dusted and wiped clean, making routine maintenance and upkeep a breeze.
Another advantage of mini blinds is familiarity. Because they’re so popular, many people prefer them over other types of window treatments due to knowing how to quickly and easily install and operate them.
What Are the Different Types of Mini Blinds?
At Blindster, we offer a few different types of mini blinds. Each of these varieties has its own colors, options, and possible sizes. They include:
- 1” Aluminum Mini Blinds – If you’re looking for a classic mini blind, you can’t go wrong with our 1” aluminum mini blinds. These tried and true window coverings are like the ones you’ve seen in many other homes and businesses, but they’re made from high-quality materials and cut to extremely high levels of accuracy to ensure the perfect fit.
- Cordless Aluminum Mini Blinds – Many homeowners are concerned about the dangers associated with mini blind cords. And while we include free cord cleats with all corded window treatment purchases, we know that many people prefer the peace of mind and convenience that comes with cordless options. Forget the lift cord—use the bottom rail to raise and lower these highly durable window treatments.
- Privacy Aluminum Mini Blinds – If you’re concerned about your privacy—and let’s face it, who isn’t—you’ll love our privacy aluminum mini blinds. Built with no route holes, they provide seamless coverage of your windows. When closed, they cut glare, darken rooms, and keep prying eyes outside of your home.
For more information, spend some time on the product pages of our selection of mini blinds. You’ll find things like available colors, specifications, customization choices, maximum sizes offered, and even videos showing how the blinds are made.
How to Install Mini Blinds
As mentioned above, one of the biggest selling points for mini blinds is their ease of installation, their light weight construction, and people’s overall familiarity with them. However, we know that not everyone has installed mini blinds in the past, and it can be a new process for many people—especially new homeowners or people buying new window treatments for the first time.
If you need help installing your new mini blinds, be sure to check out our Blinds 101 Installation Page for a rundown on installing a huge variety of window treatments.
And for a quick refresher on installing mini blinds, follow these steps:
- Measure your windows – This is one of the most vital steps, as incorrect measurements can lead to blinds that don’t fit or that don’t provide the light coverage and privacy you need. Visit our comprehensive Measuring Instructions Guide for all the details on the best way to measure your windows before you place your order.
- Install the brackets – First, make sure you’re following the bracket mounting instructions for the type of installation you’re performing—inside vs outside. Next, be sure to follow the instructions on our installation page or provided by the manufacturer carefully. Make clear markings for the areas where you’ll drill into your wall or window frame for your brackets, and be sure they’re level to provide the best coverage.
- Install the valance – The valance is a covering for the head rail, and it’s secured to the head rail via valance clips. Locate these clips and keep them handy for when you reach this step. First, place the head rail on the brackets that you installed in your window frame on your wall in the step above. Then, place the valance onto the head rail and clip it into place using the valance clips. Finally, secure the blind wand if your window treatments came with one.
If you run into trouble with your mini blinds or any other type of window covering, be sure to check out our individualized installation guides for a wide variety of blinds:
- Aluminum Mini Blind Installation Guide
- Privacy Aluminum Mini Blind Installation Guide
- 2” Aluminum Blind Installation Guide
- Cordless Aluminum Blind Installation Guide
- Micro Aluminum Blind Installation Guide
- Safelock Cordless 1” Aluminum Blind Installation Guide
What’s the Best Way to Clean Mini Blinds?
Window treatments often seem like magnets for dirt and dust. It’s important to keep them clean, especially if you suffer from allergies or have pets and small children. Many people dislike cleaning blinds because of the tedious nature, but many types of aluminum blinds are much easier to clean than other types of window treatments.
To quickly and effectively clean your mini blinds, you’ll only need three items:
- A feather duster
- A vacuum with hose attachment
- A damp cloth
Use the feather duster to collect surface dirt and dust and the vacuum to quickly remove pet hair and dust bunnies. A damp cloth can be used to wipe away stubborn dirt and dust. You can also use gentle cleaning solutions to get out tougher messes and light stains. However, be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions or warnings before using any liquid other than water on your blinds.
A good cleaning routine involves only a few steps, which include:
- Shutting blinds and dusting from top to bottom, then vacuuming up any dust or dirt that falls onto the floor
- Opening blinds and dusting from top to bottom, again vacuuming up any remnants.
- Using a dry or damp cloth to remove remaining bits of dirt and dust and vacuuming the floor to remove anything that fell from the slats, headrail, or bottom rail.
Looking for New Mini Blinds? Look No Further than Blindster
If you’re looking to outfit your home or business with mini blinds, you’re in the right place. We’re proud to offer several different varieties of mini blinds, each with its own colors and options. Be sure to check out our product page for mini blinds, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with our sales representatives if you have additional questions before you place an order.